Alumni Services at the Veterinary Library
The Penn Veterinary Library offers a wide variety of services to alumni. All graduates are eligible to use the services described below.
Access to the Veterinary Library Building
The Penn Veterinary Library is open to the public and alumni on weekdays from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. At other times access to the Hill Building is restricted to current Penn Vet card holders.
Access to Penn Libraries Electronic Resources
- On Campus Access in the Atwood Veterinary Library
One computer in the Atwood Veterinary Library is available to those without a PennKey on a first-come basis. To use other computers in the Vet Library or other Penn Libraries, alumni must have (1) an Alumni PennCard and (2) a Credential. Credentials are given to the first 10 alumni requesting per day and will provide single-day access to a public computer and the library's collection of e-resources. A credential must be requested the same day access is required.
Due to license restrictions, nearly all electronic resources are restricted to current Penn Students & Staff, or to on campus use.
- Requesting a Alumni PennCards
- Bring a government issued photo I.D to the PennCard Center (Suite 150 Franklin Bldg, 3451 Walnut St.)
- Alumni may also obtain their Alumni PennCard by mail
- The card is good for 5 years and the cost is $25
- For more information, contact the PennCARD Center at 215-898-2646
- Requesting a Credential
- Present your Alumni PennCard at the Van Pelt Library Circulation Desk, 9am-8pm weekdays.
- Some restrictions apply to use your Alumni PennCard. Please refer to the policies listed here for more details on restricted times and limits.
- Due to license restrictions, not all resources are available. For information on specific resources, please consult reference staff.
- More information is available on the Penn Libraries Alumni Services Page
- Requesting a Alumni PennCards
- Remote Access to Penn Libraries Electronic Resources
The Penn Libraries provide acess to several collections of library-licensed e-resources for personal, non-commercial use. All users are expected to abide by University policies regarding acceptable use. An Alumni PennKey is requred in order to access these select resources remotely. Instructions to obtain a Penn Alumni PennKey are available on the Penn Libraries Alumni Services Page.
Some of the general purpose Alumni databases provide access to several veterinary and human medicine journals. However, many include a one year embargo limiting access to recently published material.
Veterinary Alumni Copy Service is a special document delivery service for Penn Veterinary Alumni.
- Alumni are charged $4 per article for email delivery.
- Detailed information about the service is available on our Veterinary Alumni Copy Service webpage.
- PubMed articles not held by the Vet Library may be ordered from the Biomedical Library Loansome Doc service
Alumni who wish to borrow materials from the Library's collections may apply for courtesy borrowing privileges.
- The Penn Alumni fee for courtesy borrowing is $200 per year.
- Detailed information about the service can be found on our Courtesy Borrowing webpage.
- Application for courtesy borrowing should be made Monday through Friday to the Van Pelt Library Circulation Department. Call (215-898-7566)
The Veterinary Library has extensive resources for conducting research.
- Penn Alumni may use the historical and current print collections for their information needs.
- Access to electronic resources requires special arrangements, see the "Access to Electronic Resources" section of this page.
- Professional librarians are on duty between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM weekdays.
- A Consultation Appointment is recommended if you anticipate needing librarian assistance. For reference services, call 215-898-8895 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RefWorks is a web-based program that can store and manage your citation information. Your Penn Alumni status provides you with free access to RefWorks for as long as Penn Libraries subscribes to the service.
- Those who have used RefWorks as a student are required to create and transfer their collection to a new RefWorks Alumni account.
- Please consult the RefWorks Alumni Account Instructions for information on how to set up an account under the Alumni Program.
- Contact the Veterinary Library for more information about RefWorks at 215-898-8895 or email@example.com