Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center
3420 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
Hours, Jul. 30: 8:30am - 9pm
For additional library information please call: (215) 898-7555.
General Access Policies
Weekdays until 6pm
- To enter the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center, visitors must show a valid PennCard or a current, valid government or school-issued photo I.D. that contains an expiration date.
- Registered courtesy borrowers must show their library-issued borrower's card and a valid photo ID.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Visitors who do not hold a PennCard and who are not a member of an affiliated institution () will be asked to sign in. A copy of their identification documents will be made and a Visitor Badge will be issued. The information obtained from the I.D. will be used only for security and/or law enforcement purposes when necessary.
After 6pm Weekdays and on Weekends
- Access is restricted. Patrons must show identification in one of the following categories:
- Valid PennCard or Penn Alumni Card
- Library Courtesy Card accompanied by a valid photo I.D.
- Valid photo I.D. from Drexel, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Swarthmore, or a Research Libraries Group Shares Member
- An institutional I.D. from HUP, CHOP, Pennsylvania or Presbyterian Hospitals, or a hospital affiliate of the University of Pennsylvania Health System
- The use of the Goldstein Undergraduate Study Center, including Rosengarten Reserve, is restricted to PennCard holders.
Reading Days and Final ExamsIndividuals who are not affiliated with the university will not have access to Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center during reading days and final exam periods at the close of each semester, when student demand on library facilities is at its peak. During these weeks in December each fall and in April/May each spring, access will be limited to individuals who hold a PennCard, an Institutional ID from HUP, CHOP, Pennsylvania or Presbyterian Hospitals, a Penn Alumni Card, or a Library Courtesy Card. Reading days and final exam periods for the current year are noted on the Van Pelt Library Hours calendar.Public Access to U.S. Government and U.N. Depository DocumentsAs a Federal Depository Library Program participant, the Penn Libraries make U.S. government documents received through the depository program available for the free use of the general public. Please read about access at http://www.library.upenn.edu/access/acc-govdocs.html.Access for guests & Penn-affiliated visitors
Accessible EntranceThe accessible entrance to the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center is on the ground floor through the Goldstein Undergraduate Study Center. This entrance faces the Blanche P. Levy Park. See Van Pelt Library Services for Patrons with Disabilities for more information.
Penn alumni:Alumni are encouraged to obtain a Penn Alumni Card, which will provide unrestricted access to Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center. Information on securing a card and on library services for alumni is available at http://www.library.upenn.edu/access/alumni.
Guests of Penn students:Penn students who wish to bring guests into the library weekday evenings or on the weekend need to complete an access pass at the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library guard desk.
Children of Penn faculty, staff, & students:Children may enter the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center when accompanied by a parent or guardian with a valid I.D. as described above. Children in the Library Center must remain accompanied by their parent or guardian at all times.
Elementary, middle, & high school students:The Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center is not open for use by individual elementary, middle, or high school students. Students who need to use depository documents should read about access at http://www.library.upenn.edu/access/acc- govdocs.html.Teachers interested in arranging a tour for a class group may make arrangements by contacting Van Pelt Reference at 215-898-7556 or email@example.com.
Prospective students & their families:The library welcomes prospective Penn students and their families to visit the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center. To make arrangements, please contact Van Pelt Reference at 215-898-7556 or firstname.lastname@example.org.