An author keyword search is a keyword search of the author fields. There are several ways to search by author:
Select Author Keyword from the pull-down menu in the Basic Search
- If you:
- Enter two names in any order, terms will be connected by AND:
will cather searches willa AND cather
- Enter a name with an initial, the initial will be searched as a separate term:
l frank baum searches l AND frank AND baum
- Enter a comma and a space between names, the two names will be combined with AND, but the terms in the order searched will be weighted higher in the results:
wharton, edith - "wharton edith" weighted higher.
- Use quotation marks around search terms, the results can vary, as the terms are searched as adjacent, in the order given.
"russo richard" gets more hits than "richard russo"
- Want to do proximity search, use the tilde symbol "~" and a number, after a search in quotes
"william f buckley"~2 finds william AND f AND buckley within 2 words of each other.
- Search only a last name and get too many results, use the Author/Creator limit on the left to narrow your
search to a specific author.
- Search a last name and truncated initial (hardy t*) the search is translated to hardy AND t*: not an effective search.
Use the Author Browse instead.
Select Keyword Expert from the Basic Search menu
- author:butler and title:"way of all flesh"
Use the Full Advanced Search (Click on Advanced Search Tab)
See Advanced Search Tab