Requesting resources though the Franklin Catalog
In order for the request functions to display, you must be both logged into Franklin and have Third Party Cookies enabled.
When an item is "Available" in the Franklin Catalog it should be in the location specified. Within the Show Availability Details box, available items are noted by the Availability information: (1 copy, 1 available, 0 requests). In many cases, you may visit the library and check out the item directly. When logged into the Franklin catalog, request options display in the Show Availability Details box:
- Request - use to ask that materials be sent from LIBRA (Library Research Annex) or another library to your desired pick up library location. See Penn Library Delivers for additional information on this service.
- Exception: Rare Book & Manuscript Library and LIBRA Special, LIBRA Rare, or LIBRA Limited - click the "Request to View" link provided in the Status/Location portion of the record, in order to create a Special Collections research account and request items for viewing.
- Exception: Visitors who do not hold a PennCard or Library Courtesy Card must use the library's Request for Book/Recording/Video from LIBRA form or Request an Article from LIBRA form to make a request for items from LIBRA (see above for LIBRA Special, Rare, and Limited locations).
- Books by Mail - Penn faculty and graduate students living outside a 75 mile radius of Philadelphia may register for and use this service.
- Scan and Deliver - Use this service to obtain scans of book chapters and journal articles.
- Faculty Express - delivery service for standing, tenure-track faculty.
When an item is "Requestable" in the Franklin Catalog it is not available for use. The item is usually on loan to another borrower. It may also be on order, lost, or being processed for use. Within the Show Availability Details box, items that are not currently available are noted by the Availability information: (1 copy, 0 available, n Requests)
Another copy can be requested through BorrowDirect, EZ Borrow, or Interlibrary Loan