Keffer Collection of Sheet Music,
Content and design by John Bewley
Philadelphia in Images: Interior View of Chestnut Street (New) Theatre
Engraving attached to: The Mansion of Peace : Sung by Mr. Chambers at the Opening of the New Theatre / the words by a lady ; composed by Mr. Webbe.
Philadelphia: G. Willig, between 1798 and 1804.
Box 4, no. 51.
The theatre opened on February 2, 1793 with a concert presented by Alexander Reinagle. It
was closed after only two weeks in response to fears surrounding an epidemic of yellow
fever in the city. It reopened a year later. The interior was a copy of the Theatre Royal in
Bath, England. The facade was not completed until 1805. Reinagle served as music
director and George Gillingham, violinist, was the orchestra conductor. In the first six
seasons Reinagle produced over 75 musical works. The theatre was destroyed by fire in
1820. A new theatre, designed by William Strickland, opened in 1822. This new structure
remained in place until 1855 when it was razed to make way for office buildings.
The engraving was not originally issued with this piece of music. It is inscribed "NY Mag. Apr. 1794". The lettering on the banner above the stage is legible as "The eagle suffers little birds to sing".
Go to Images of Music
Back to Top
Send mail concerning this page to: