Keffer Collection of Sheet Music,
Content and design by John Bewley
Philadelphia in Images: Members of the United States Fire Company
Lithograph by J. H. Camp Lith. on title page of:The United States Polka/ composed for the piano forte, and respectfully dedicated to the United Sates Fire Company of Philadelphia by William Wolsieffer.
Philadelphia: W. Wolsieffer, 18-?.
Box 36, no. 50.
Fire companies in Philadelphia date back to December 7, 1736 when the Union Fire Company was established. By 1750 six fire companies were in existence and from 1802 to 1823 at least forty new fire companies were formed. All of these companies were subjects of civic pride and membership included prominent citizens of the city.
The United States Fire Company was formed on October 29, 1811 at a meeting at Kennedy's Hotel on Letitia Court in the Northeastern quarter of the city. The fire house at that time was located at the bridge on Second Street, above Callowhill. The fire house is visible in this scene and the members of the company are identified.
Back to Top
Send mail concerning this page to: