Henry Charles Lea Papers: Political Writings - Civil War
- Folder 2058: Supervisory Committee for recruiting colored
regiments. Lea's notes and printed announcements. 1861-1865. 15 l.
- Folder 2059: "A Letter to the Honorable John Bell of Tennessee,"
1861. Handwritten draft by H. C. Lea. John Bell, 1797-1869, was Senator from
Tennessee, U. S. Secretary of War under President Harrison, and Constitutional Union
Candidate for U.S. President, 1860. 1 item, 4 l., plus newspaper clippings.
- Folder 2060: "To his excellency Abraham Lincoln, President."
Handwritten draft by H. C. Lea representing the Citizens of the 24th Ward in
Philadelphia. September 12, 1862. List of resolutions re: formation of a home guard
militia to defend Philadelphia. 1 item, 2 l.
- Folder 2061: United States Congress. House of Representatives
Report No. 23, February 10, 1862, "Harbor Defenses on Great Lakes and Rivers." 1 item.
- Folder 2062: Lea's notes on canals. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2063: Lea's notes on the army. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2064: Citizens' Bounty Fund for Volunteers. Henry C.
Lea, chairman. 1 small ledger book listing contributions to the fund, August 1862.
Receipts for Lea's contributions to the fund, 4 leaves, August 1862. 5 items plus
- Folder 2065: Home Guard of the Twenty-fourth Ward.
Announcements, "Provisions of an Act legalizing the Home Guard of Philadelphia," 12
leaves, plus 3 clippings.
- Folder 2066: National Union Party of the Twenty-fourth Ward.
Henry C. Lea, chairman of the Finance Committee. 1 ledger book of contributions, 1863,
plus report of contributions addressed to Theo. M. Willberger, October 10, 1864.
- Folder 2067: United States Sanitary Commission [for sick and
wounded soldiers]. Great Central Fair held in Philadelphia, June 1864. Announcements,
2 items, 2 l. plus newspaper clipping.
- Folder 2068: Bounty Commission. "List of Warrants not called
for, & handed over by the Bounty Commission appointed under Ordinance of December
12, 1863,..." Receipt signed by J. G. Rosengarten. 1 item, 3 l.
- Folder 2069: Philadelphia. Select Council. Appendix No. 67 to
the journal of the Select Council. Re: Provost-Marshal General Fry, and Philadelphia's
quotas of men. 1865. 1 item.
- Folder 2070: Draft of an affidavit, re: recruitments signed by
Cyrus S. Detre, January 20, 1865 in H. C. Lea's hand.
- Folder 2071: To: Hon. F. W. Seward, assistant Secretary of State,
signed Samuel Dutton, January 29, 1866. Re: General Charles H. T. Collis; Lieut. Col.
F. F. Cavada, U. S. Consul at Trinidad; Major General David B. Birney; the battles of
Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. Printed item. 1 l.
- Folder 2072: "The Record of the Democratic Party 1860-1865."
- Folder 2073: "Democratic Frauds. How the Democrats Carried
Pennsylvania in 1867." No. 178. pamphlet, 1 item.
- Folder 2074: "Repudiation," No. 180. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2075: "The New Rebellion," No. 186. pamphlet, 1 item.
- Folder 2076: "Is This What We Fought For," illustrated
broadsheet re: Ulysses S. Grant. 1 item.
- Folder 2077: "The Lives and Public Services of General U. S.
Grant." No. 182. Union League pamphlet. Also includes, "Life of Schuyler Colfax." 1
Last update: Friday, 31-Jan-2003 20:47:42 EST
Send mail concerning this page to: email@example.com