Henry Charles Lea Papers: Political Writings - Reform
- Folder 2078: "Expenditures on Capital Extension at
Washington." Lea's handwritten notes, copy of U.S. Senate Ex. Doc. No. 52, 1st session,
32nd Congress. 1851. 1 item, 7 l.
- Folder 2079: Ohio. Hamilton County. Report of the
Investigating Committee to the Board of County Commissioners. Re: new court house
building. 1855. 1 item, pamphlet.
- Folder 2080: Pennsylvania. Supreme Court. Macalester et al.
vs. Thompson et al. "Bill in equity" and "Supplemental Bill." Complaint of Charles
Macalester and Isaac Lea against the city of Philadelphia re: contracts for erecting public
buildings. 1860. 2 items, pamphlets.
- Folder 2081: Pennsylvania. Supreme Court. Ketcham vs. City
of Philadelphia and Macalester, et al. vs. Thompson, et. al. 1860. 2 items, pamphlets.
- Folder 2082: Pennsylvania. Supreme Court. City of
Philadelphia vs. Hon. Alexander Henry, et al. relative to Commission for the Erection of
Public Buildings. "Bill in equity and argument on behalf of the City." 1 item, pamphlet,
- Folder 2083 : Philadelphia. Common Council Documents. New
City Buildings. 1860. Annotated by HCL. 1 item, pamphlet.
- Folder 2084: Specifications and Contract for the New Public
Buildings...as signed by John McArthur, Jr., John Rice, William Struthers, Elijah Jones.
September 24, 1860. 2 items, pamphlets.
- Folder 2085: "To the taxpayers and other citizens of the City of
Philadelphia" re: public buildings, draft written by HCL. n.d. 1 item, 5 l.
- Folder 2086: Philadelphia. Common Council File No. 8,
October 18, 1860. Select Council File No. 5. Pennsylvania. File of the Senate No. 633,
March 25, 1861. re: public buildings. 3 items.
- Folder 2087: Instructions for R. S. Randall from HCL. Detailed
list of materials Lea is sending to Randall re: public buildings. 1 item, 8 l. See Randall
- Folder 2088: Miscellaneous items, clipping re: public buildings.
- Folder 2089: Minority Report of Committee Appointed February
4, 1861 to examine the condition and policy of the Pennsylvania Rail Road Company. Ms.
draft by HCL.
- Folder 2090: A Letter to the Shareholders of the Pennsylvania
Rail Road Company. n.d. Ms. draft by HCL.
- Folder 2091: Association of the Twenty-seventh Ward, H. C. Lea,
secretary. Minutes, flyers. 1866, n.d.
- Folder 2092: Pennsylvania Railroad Company. Addressed to
Israel H. Johnson from "Minority." Nos. 1-6.
- Folder 2093: "Conversation with Horatio Seymour, on the
National Debt and Taxes" by William D. Kelley. September 8, 1868. 1 item.
- Folder 2094: HCL notes on municipal taxation, ca. 1870-1873.
- Folder 2095: Pennsylvania. Senate File No. 1270, April 13, 1871.
Re: municipal taxation.
- Folder 2096: Pennsylvania. Senate. Member lists and voting
records kept by HCL, 1871, n.d.
- Folder 2097: "Comments on the Water Supply of Philadelphia,"
and "In the matter of the investigation of abuses in the Water Department," by James
Haworth. 1871. 2 items, pamphlets.
- Folder 2098: "Mass Meeting to Abolish the Public Buildings
Commission." pamphlet, 2 copies; and "Proceedings of a Mass Meeting of the Citizens of
Philadelphia held March 24, 1871 at the Academy of Music..." pamphlet. Admission ticket.
- Folder 2099: "To the Honorable the House of Representatives
of the Legislature of Pennsylvania..." HCL draft. "The Public Buildings." "Fifty Reasons
for Abolishing the Building Commission," pamphlet, n.d. 3 items.
- Folder 2100: Binney, Horace. "Address," re: Citizen's Reform
- Folder 2101: West, William Russell [d. 1871]. Broad Street,
Penn Square, and the Park. 2nd edition. Philadelphia: Jno. Penington & Son, 1871.
Argues against the erection of public buildings in Penn Square at Broad and Market
streets. Illustrated with colored maps. Contains manuscript notes on the flyleaves
written by Thomas Webster in 1875 regarding how the book came to be written and
printed and the part played by Henry C. Lea, Matthew Baird, and Charles Wheeler in its
printing and distribution. In an additional note by Thomas Webster dated August 14,
1890, he gives the book to Henry C. Lea.
- Folder 2102: Material found in covers of William Russell West's
book. Four manuscript maps of Philadelphia streets with drawings by HCL, one of these
is a sketch of proposed fountains and a monument in Penn Square, another a hand-
colored map (watercolor sketch) of the section of Philadelphia bounded by Broad Street,
High Street (Market Street), Girard Avenue and the Schuylkill River. The fifth leaf is a
copy of a petition to protest the "The Commission Bills," addressed to the state legislature
of Pennsylvania, dated March 16, 1871. 5 l.
- Folder 2103: Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Commonwealth vs. Allen et al. 1871. Suit brought against Philadelphia city councilmen
William S. Allen, Henry Huhn, and Nicholas Shane for malfeasance. 1 item, pamphlet.
- Folder 2104: Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Commonwealth vs.
Allen, et al. January 1872. 1 item, pamphlet.
- Folder 2105: "The Enforcement Acts," May 31, 1870. 1 item,
- Folder 2106: "Songs for the Politicians," and "A Man's a Man for
a'that" (parody). HCL political verse. 1872. 2 items, (1 pamphlet and 4 l.).
- Folder 2107: Open letter from A. K. McClure, Republican Reform
candidate for Senate.
- Folder 2108: Industrial League. Agreement re: services of Wm.
- Folder 2109: Citizens' Municipal Reform Association. H. C. Lea,
chairman of executive committee. Reform tracts, memorials, etc. 1871-1873.
- Folder 2110: Citizens' Municipal Reform Association, cont. 1874-
- Folder 2111: "Training Schools for Nurses in America," by
Charles P. Putnam, read at the annual meeting of the American Social Science Association,
October 14, 1874. 1 item, pamphlet.
- Folder 2112: "The Duty of the Voter," October 1874. 1 item,
- Folder 2113: Harris, Elisha. "General Health Laws and Local
Ordinances." Proposed act for establishing a State Board of Health in New York.
American Public Health Association, 1874. 2 items.
- Folder 2114: "To the Stockholders of the Pennsylvania Railroad
Company." Letter 1, Letter 2. Ms. drafts by HCL.
- Folder 2115: "Letter from a Committee of Citizens to the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company on the proposed Schuylkill Drove-Yard and Abattoir."
1874. Pamphlet, 2 copies, plus 1 l.
- Folder 2116: "Letter to a Committee of Citizens on the Proposed
Schuylkill Drove-Yard and Abattoir," by John H. Rauch, M.D. 1874. Pamphlet.
- Folders 2117-2119: Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Sellers et al. vs. the Pennsylvania Railroad. re: slaughterhouse.
- Folder 2120: Philadelphia Stock Yards and Abattoir. Testimony
in favor. 1875.
- Folder 2121: Reform Club of Philadelphia. Constitution, annual
- Folder 2122: Celebration of the Anniversary of the Declaration
of American Independence. 1876.
- Folder 2123: "Report on the Hart Creek Sewer," by Henry B.
Tatham to the executive committee of the Citizens' Municipal Reform Association. 1877.
1 item, pamphlet.
- Folder 2124: Resolutions. January 20, 1877. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2125: Republican Party (U.S.) Materials re: anti-Grant
campaign, including "Official Proceedings of the Anti-Third Term Republican Convention,
St. Louis, Mo., May 6, 1880." 9 items, (7 l. plus 2 pamphlets).
- Folder 2126: National Republican League. Philadelphia.
"Republican Doctrine as to a Third Presidential Term," by HCL.
- Folder 2127: Proposed introductory resolution. Ms. draft by
HCL. Re: Republican Party.
- Folder 2128: Philadelphia Social Science Association. H. C. Lea,
president. 11th annual report; 13th annual report. 1881-1883
- Folder 2129: "To Independent Republicans," by HCL, October
1883. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2130: "Alcohol," by A. C. Rembaugh. Paper read at a
meeting of the Philadelphia Social Science Association.
- Folder 2131: Association of Republicans and Independents.
Henry C. Lea, president, 1885, n.d. 2 items, 2 l.
- Folder 2132: Harris, J. Andrews. Civil Service Reform--The
Pendleton and Willis Bills, n.d.
- Folder 2133: "The Future of Civil Service Reform," and "The
Duty of Independents." by HCL, 1888, clippings.
- Folder 2134: Committee of One Hundred. Boston, Mass. Copy
of memorial to U. S. Congress re: separation of church and state. 1 item, 2 l.
- Folder 2135: United States. Senate Bill S. 2191. To incorporate
the Philadelphia and Camden Bridge Company, introduced by Senator Matthew S. Quay.
January 21, 1890. 1 item.
- Folder 2136: "An Open Letter to President Harrison," by HCL,
April 8, 1890. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2137: "Public Duty in Pennsylvania," Harper's
Weekly, by HCL July 26, 1890, proof sheet.
- Folder 2138: "The Bill for Local Taxation," Printed letter
addressed to Boies Penrose from HCL, April 6, 1891. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2139: Municipal League of Philadelphia. Copy of article,
"Municipal Reform in Philadelphia," by Clinton Rogers Woodruff, Harper's
Weekly, October 27, 1891.
- Folder 2140: Opening Exercises of the Institute of Hygiene of
the University of Pennsylvania, February 22, 1892. Bound volume of addresses, plus
- Folder 2141: "A Mugwump's View of the Situation," by HCL,
Harper's Weekly, February 24, 1894. 1 original clipping, 1 reprint.
- Folder 2142: "To the Taxpayers of Philadelphia," by HCL, 1 item,
- Folder 2143: "The Duty of Political Independents," by HCL, in
The Independent, October 20, 1892.
- Folder 2144: "To Loyal Democrats," n.d. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2145: "Assessments. 13th to 15th and Market to Filbert
Sts." Ms. list of properties. n.d. 1 item, 1 l.
- Folder 2146: HCL's ms. notes on City Council Meetings from
the Bulletin. n.d.
- Folder 2147: Newspaper clippings. HCL's letters to the press,
articles, ca. 1860-1182.
- Folder 2148: Newspaper clippings. HCL's letters to the press,
articles, ca. 1884-1905
Last update: Friday, 31-Jan-2003 20:47:42 EST
Send mail concerning this page to: email@example.com