Raymond Biswanger Slide Collection
The Brontës: 1824
Tunstall was the parish managed by Reverend W. Carus Wilson, the founder of the Clergy Daughters' School attended by the Brontë sisters. Charlotte Brontë joined the school in 1824, and as pupil there, she had to participate in weekly four-mile Sunday walks to and from Tunstall Church, where pupils would attend service and then eat lunch.
A similar, paralyzingly cold journey is recalled in chapter seven of Jane Eyre when the students walk to “Brocklebridge.”
The name of Branwell Brontë's hero Sir Henry Tunstall may have been derived from this town.
Tunstall, Lancashire (Brocklebridge in Jane Eyre) [Top image--30 April 1985; Bottom image--1 October 1987]
Church of Saint John the Baptist. Tunstall, Lancashire [1 October 1987]
Porch, Church of Saint John the Baptist. Tunstall, Lancashire [1 October 1987]
Interior of the Church of Saint John the Baptist. Tunstall, Lancashire [1 October 1987]