Raymond Biswanger Slide Collection
William Wordsworth: 1806
Adjoining Saint Oswald's church of Grasmere was the Lych Gate village school, which took its name from the north, or “lych” gate that villagers of Grasmere entered the churchyard by. William Wordsworth's son, John, attended this school from 1806 to 1812. Wordsworth also taught there briefly.
Grasmere and Egremont, Cumbria
In 1854 the old school building was taken over by a village woman called Sarah Nelson, and converted into a gingerbread shop. The gingerbread shop remains in business to this day.
Sarah Nelson's Gingerbread Shop, old Lych Gate school, Grasmere, Cumbria [ 24 September 1988]
The Horn of Egremont Castle
ERE the Brothers through the gateway
Issued forth with old and young,
To the Horn Sir Eustace pointed
Which for ages there had hung.
Horn it was which none could sound,
No one upon living ground,
Save He who came as rightful Heir
To Egremont's Domains and Castle fair.
Heirs from times of earliest record
Had the House of Lucie born,
Who of right had held the Lordship
Claimed by proof upon the Horn:
Each at the appointed hour
Tried the Horn,--it owned his power;
He was acknowledged: and the blast,
Which good Sir Eustace sounded, was the last.
William Wordsworth (1806)
Egremont Castle, Egremont, Cumbria [17 April 1983]