Glossberg Recording Room
The Glossberg Recording Room is intended as a resource for faculty, students, and staff to record the
spoken word for podcasts, video voice-overs, and interviews. (The room is not designed for the
recording of musical performances.)
The room is located in the Ormandy Music and Media
on the fourth floor of
the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center
(room number 424.2). The room contains
- One Mac Pro (with Garageband, iMovie, and Audacity)
- Two boom microphones
- One Alesis iO|14 audio interface/mixer
- One midi keyboard
- A reservation is required to use the room. To book the room, use
Scheduler. The room may be booked for no more than three hours at a time, up to seven days in
- You must have your PennCard when you arrive for your reservation, and
the name on the PennCard must match the name on the reservation.
- You will be asked to sign an
agreement stating that you assume financial responsibility for the equipment in the room during the
period of your reservation.
- You may use the room with other people, but you must remain in the room for as long as the room is in use under your name.
- If you do not arrive within ten minutes of your reserved start time
you will forfeit your reservation.
- The room is for use with the spoken voice only. The recording of musical performance is not
Use of the room assumes knowledge of Garageband, iMovie, or Audacity.
Technical support for the Glossberg Recording Room is provided by the
staff of the Vitale Digital
If you need instruction in the use of software, visit
the lab in the Weigle Information
or call 215/746-2661 to make an appointment.
- The Firewire port on the back of the Mac Pro is not functioning. The Firewire cable connected to the audio interface must be plugged into the Firewire port on the front of the machine (17 Nov 09)
- In the "Preferences" for your program, make sure "Alesis Firewire" is selected as the input and
output sound source.
- If you are using the keyboard as an input device, make sure it is turned on.
- Have a look at this image of the controls and their functions
- Cabling. Make sure the cables leading to the Alesis iO|14 interface match this photograph.
- Panel lights. Three lights should be illuminated: orange lights under the Firewire icon (Y shaped with a circle at the center) and next to "MIDI," and a green light next to "44.1." If the light under the Firewire icon is off, the the Firewire connection is broken.
- Volume controls. Make sure the gain levels on the left are turned clockwise as far as possible as in this photograph.