Penn Libraries Research Annex (LIBRA): Library Service Assistant
This position is located at 31 Phoenix Drive, West Deptford, New Jersey
The LIBRA LSA takes part in all public service aspects of the LIBRA Facility, including storing materials and providing access to them for remote and local users.
Regular duties include, but are not limited to:
- Retrieving requests from multiple sources for materials housed in the facility.
- Retrieving requested materials and preparing them for physical delivery to remote locations, for in house use, or for scanning and electronic delivery
- Scanning materials to be delivered through various resource sharing systems
- Inventorying materials from the University of Pennsylvania Libraries and partners
- Maintaining the order of the shelving areas.
- Daily maintenance of the Man-a-board.
- Shelving and otherwise storing books, microform and maps deposited at LIBRA.
- Keeping statistics related to usage of materials stored in the facility.
- Looking up requested materials in Voyager and/or Franklin.
- Responding to patron inquiries via phone or email.
- Receiving materials from and shipping materials to University of Pennsylvania Libraries and other locations.
Occasional duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting patrons who use materials on site.
- Reporting equipment problems.
- In the absence of the Public Services Library Specialist, providing the labels and trays required by the processing staff at LIBRA and Van Pelt.
- In the absence of the Storage Public Services Library Specialist, assisting with the oversight of the facility.
- Performing regular maintenance on the Man-a-board.
- Adjusting shelf heights.
- Working with the Public Services Library Specialist and the Assistant Director, LIBRA and Associated Collaborative Partnerships to coordinate bulk transfers of materials to LIBRA.
- Accepting deliveries.
- Other duties as required.
Hours of work:
This position has a regular work schedule from Monday through Friday. The hours of work will occur between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm on a fixed 35 hour schedule. The schedule will be set by mutual agreement between the employee and supervisor.
- A minimum of a high school education.
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds regularly.
- Dependability, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong service orientation and demonstrated ability to work well with colleagues and the public.
- Good communications skills, good judgment and the ability to work both independently and under supervision.
- Must be able to use the Man-a-board lift truck (after training and certification).
- Must be able to work comfortably at heights up to 30 feet.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is set by AFSCME Local 590 Collective Bargaining Agreement, and includes a generous benefits package, additional information available at http://www.hr.upenn.edu/jobs/benefits.asp
Potential candidates are invited to submit a letter of application that addresses the needs and qualifications of the position, along with their resume, as well as complete an on-line employment application at http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=196937
Alternatively, you may search by reference #130134056 at http://www.hr.upenn.edu/jobs.
The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.