Hebraica Library Specialist - POSITION FILLEDPOSITION FILLED
Working under the direction of both the Acquisitions Librarian and the Hebraica Cataloger, with minimal supervision, the incumbent will both acquire and describe Hebraica materials in accordance with the Library Specialist position description in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Hebraica Library Specialist will be responsible for both routine and complicated ordering, receipt, and payment of print monographs (including multi-part extended orders) for multiple locations. The incumbent will also perform complex copy cataloging of Hebraica materials as appropriate, and will create original brief bibliographic records as needed, involving advanced searching ability in both Voyager and OCLC. In both areas, acquisitions and cataloging, the incumbent will employ Romanized Hebrew, based on Hebrew grammar, and skills necessary for thorough problem-solving and analysis. The position may include pushing book trucks and occasionally lifting boxes.
- Strong knowledge of modern Hebrew, written and spoken, and of Hebrew grammar.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and with others.
- A bachelor's degree.
- Experience working with OCLC and bibliographic utilities, and knowledge of MARC.
- Copy cataloging experience.
- Background in Jewish studies and culture.
- Ability to read Rashi script and touch type in Hebrew.
- Knowledge of Yiddish and/or other Judaic languages.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is set by AFSCME Local 590 Collective Bargaining Agreement, and includes a generous benefits package, additional information available at http://www.hr.upenn.edu/jobs/benefits.asp
Potential candidates are invited to submit a letter of application that addresses the needs and qualifications of the position, along with their resume, as well as complete an on-line employment application at http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/2534
The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.