Read about other
Amy Comegys Memorial FundAmy Comegys left a bequest for the maintenance of materials in the Rare Book & Manuscript Library at the University of Pennsylvania.
She was the daughter of Benjamin Bartus Comegys, President of The Philadelphia Bank and prominent Philadelphian. She and her father gave books from his personal library to Penn, knowing they would be treasured here.
In 1893 he wrote in A Tour Round My Library:
"...from my early youth I have been a lover of books, and though I make no claim to scholarship, the cultivation of a taste for general literature has been one of the chief pleasures of my life. The companionship of books has been, and is, among my most cherished companionships, and I love them as I love my friends."
His library is shown here on the right.
Materials purchased through this fund include:
- Shepherdess of the mountains : a Swiss tale.
- Voltaire in the shades, or, dialogues on the deistical controversy.
- Traité complete sur l'education physique et morale des chats, suivi de l'art de guérir les maladies de cet animal domestique
- Letters concerning the English nation
- Sei poemetti in ottava rima
- See additional titles purchased through this fund