New Library Spaces
Penn Libraries Home
The Campaign for the Penn Libraries
*
Take a walk around the floors of the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center, and you'll be struck by the number of plaques on rooms and spaces. These plaques bear testimony to the generosity and vision of donors who over the past century have helped to build the spaces, the collections, and the access tools for generations of Penn students.

The buildings themselves urge us to remember benefactors with a special connection to Penn. Van Pelt Library, opened in 1961, honors the memory of Charles Patterson Van Pelt, a descendant of one of the original trustees, who lost his life at the age of 19 in a hunting accident. His parents, Dr. and Mrs. David Van Pelt, provided major funding for the library.

The Dietrich Graduate Library Center, built in 1966, honors the memory of Daniel W. Dietrich, Wharton 1924 and H. Richard Dietrich, Wharton 1930, LLD 1957, brothers who dedicated their lives and substance to their alma mater.
*