Dr. John Louis Haney, one-time Chair of the English Department at Penn, and subsequently President of Central High School for over a decade, spent the last 30 years of his life amassing principal for the benefit of the University.
Among gifts to the University Museum, the College, the University Press, undergraduate financial aid, and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, was a generous gift to the University of Pennsylvania Library for the following endowed funds:
Dr. Haney earned his B.S. at Penn in 1898, his Ph.D. in 1901. The University honored his alumni service with an honorary LL.D. in 1939, but it was not until his death in 1959 that the University learned of his astonishing generosity.
As Class Historian, he urged his classmates to support Penn in honor of their fortieth reunion, and "to agree upon some gift to the University that will afford evidence of the loyalty and the steadfast devotion of the Class of 1898 College."
His own devotion to the University continues to build a Library for tomorrow.