How Do I Advocate for Policies to Increase the Impact of My Research?
You can encourage your department and scholarly society to promote more open access to scholarship in several ways.Advocate Locally
- Sign a department wide deposit agreement with Scholarly Commons:Repository that assures all people in your department deposit their research in Penn's online archive
- Review tenure and promotion guidelines to reward publishing in open access journals or experimenting with new publishing models.
- Additional Resources
- Encourage your scholarly society to develop access-friendly publication policies. See the Role of Scholarly Societies on the University of California's Office of Scholarly Communication site for guidelines.
- Contribute to the Open Access Directory, a key resource in compiling Open Access resources and news.
- CreateChange website - developed by SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition) provides many ideas for how you can effect change in the scholarly publishing and communication system.