LIBRA - Penn Libraries Research Annex
In January of 2011, the Libraries began moving off-campus collections to the Penn Libraries Research Annex (LIBRA), a new facility at 31 Phoenix Drive, West Deptford, NJ. The selection of this site concluded more than a year of effort by the Libraries and Facilities & Real Estate Services to find a cost-efficient, adaptable, and long-term space to accommodate Penn's growing library collections and ensure rapid delivery of materials in both physical and electronic form.
- the building is in move-in condition. It is insulated and has a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system.
- additional space is available for future expansion, including possible collaborative collection development with libraries beyond Penn.
- an open floor plan allows us to optimize configuration of shelving units.
- the building's 30-feet-high ceilings allow for full implementation of high density shelving, a shelving method that maximizes capacity and promotes preservation by housing materials by size.
- there is ample space for staff, new materials processing, shipping books to campus by delivery van, and digital scanning workstations.
- installation of a fire-suppression system, upgrade of the HVAC system, and installation of floor-to-ceiling high-density shelving units (fall, 2010);
- packing, transport, and unpacking of 1.6 million volumes (January through March, 2011); and
- construction of an on-site reading room (to open in early April 2011).
Retrieval and delivery of print volumes and digitization of journal articles were available during the transition, and continued when LIBRA opened in early April of 2011.
For more details about this transition, see the LIBRA FAQ. Please contact Jon Shaw, Assistant Director, Libraries Research Annex (LIBRA) & Associated Collaborative Partnerships with questions and comments.