Penn readers may now view and download 16,764 scholarly Oxford University Press ebooks available in the Oxford Scholarship Online ebooks collection.
Oxford Scholarship Online brings together Oxford University Press-imprint titles in 20 subject areas, published from 1963 through today. OSO's strengths are in philosophy, religion, history political science, law, and literature, with works also in economics and finance, psychology, classical studies, music, linguistics, business and management, physics, biology, sociology, public health and epidemiology, social work, neuroscience, mathematics, and palliative care. OSO is hosted on OUP's University Press Scholarship Online platform.
In addition to book prize winners and Nobel prize-winning authors, books by Penn faculty are well-represented in Oxford Scholarship Online. Titles by Penn authors from the past three years include:
- Democracy without journalism? Confronting the misinformation society / Victor Pickard. (2019)
- Information hunters : when librarians, soldiers, and spies banded together in World War II Europe / Kathy Peiss. (2019)
- Eastern medieval architecture : the building traditions of Byzantium and neighboring lands / Robert G. Ousterhout. (Onassis series in Hellenic culture, 2019)
- Corporate reputation and social activism : strategic interaction, firm behavior, and social welfare / Jose Miguel Abito (with David Besanko and Daniel Diermeier). (2019)
- Tribology on the small scale : a modern textbook on friction, lubrication, and wear / Robert W. Carpick (with C. Mathew Mate). 2nd ed. (2019)
- Finance and financial intermediation : a modern treatment of money, credit, and banking / Harold L. Cole. (2019)
- The lands in between : Russia vs. the West and the new politics of hybrid war / Mitchell A. Orenstein. (2019)
- What is race? Four philosophical views / Quayshawn Spencer (with Joshua Glasgow, Sally Haslanger, and Chike Jeffers). (2019)
- A treatise on Northern Ireland / Brendan O'Leary. 3 vols. (2019)
- Tongues of fire : language and evangelization in Colonial Mexico / Nancy Farriss. (2018)
- The musical gift : sonic generosity in post-war Sri Lanka / Jim Sykes. (Critical conjunctures in music & sound, 2018)
- Liberalism and distributive justice / Samuel Freeman. (2018)
- Global health justice and governance / Jennifer Prah Ruger. (2018)
- Childhood and the classics : Britain and America, 1850-1965 / Sheila Murnaghan (with Deborah H. Roberts). (Classical presences, 2018)
- From Proto-Indo-European to Proto-Germanic / Don Ringe. 2nd ed. (A linguistic history of English, 2017)
- The transformation of black music : the rhythms, the songs, and the ships of the African diaspora / Guthrie Ramsey (with Sam Floyd and Melanie Zeck). (2017)
- The other one percent : Indians in America / Devesh Kapur (with Sanjoy Chakravorty and Nirvikar Singh). (Modern South Asia series, 2017)
The purchase of Oxford Scholarship Online was made possible through a Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc. strategic initiative. By leveraging the participation of large research libraries such as the Penn Libraries in collective purchases, PALCI is able to bring large online collections - Oxford Scholarship Online, ProQuest Ebook Central, AVON videostreaming, SAGE Knowledge - to smaller academic institutions across Pennsylvania.
The current PALCI Oxford Scholarship Online purchase gives the Penn Libraries all current and past Oxford Scholarship Online titles plus all OSO forthcoming titles - approximately 1,000 titles per year - through 2022. As they are released, records for individual ebook titles will appear in Franklin Catalog. Penn Libraries bibliographers will review individual print offerings from Oxford University Press to avoid unnecessary duplication with forthcoming ebook releases in Oxford Scholarship Online.