Philadelphia Daily News, New York Daily News, and Northeast U.S. papers online
The ProQuest Historical Newspapers : U.S. Northeast Collection brings searchable page-image backfile runs of a dozen regional newspapers from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Vermont. Four titles included in the collection have runs starting in the 19th century.
The current U.S. Northeast Collection includes a mix of broadside and tabloid newspapers from major metropolitan areas, their suburbs and exurbs, and smaller regional cities. Most of the newspapers included in the collection are currently owned by the Gannett Corporation. Titles represented in the collection are:
• Philadelphia Daily News (Philadelphia, PA), 1960-2001.
• Pittsburgh Press (Pittsburgh, PA), 1884-1992.
• Courier-Post (Cherry Hill, NJ), 1950-2010.
• Asbury Park Press (Asbury Park, NJ), 1905-2009.
• Courier News (Bridgewater and Plainfield, NJ), 1891-2010.
• Home News Tribune (East Brunswick, NJ), 1903-2009.
• New York Daily News (New York, NY), 1919-2008.
• Ithaca Journal (Ithaca, NY), 1914-2013.
• Press & Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton, NY), 1904-2009.
• Rochester Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, NY), 1871-2011.
• Journal News (White Plains, Rockland, and Nyack, NY), 1945-2011.
• Burlington Free Press (Burlington, VT), 1848-2007.
The U.S. Northeast Collection is still being completed, with additional years to be added for some of the titles above. ProQuest has indicated that these newspapers will also be represented in the collection:
• Morning Call (Allentown, PA, 1883-2010.
• Daily Journal (Vineland, NJ), 1925-2011.
• Daily Record (Morristown, NJ), 1974-2012.
• Poughkeepsie Journal (Poughkeepsie, NY), 1785-2010.
• Star-Gazette (Elmira, NY). 1891-2011).
• News Journal (Wilmington, DE), 1871-2009.
The ProQuest Historical Newspapers interface offers PDF-format page images and basic searching capabilities, including fulltext, page number and date range searching. The U.S. Northeast Collection may be searched simultaneously with other ProQuest Historical Newspapers titles, including the New York Times and Philadelphia Inquirer.