The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts was a Church of England missionary organization active in the British Atlantic world from the 18th through the early 20th centuries. It developed infrastructure--missions, schools, literature--to buttress the influence of the Anglican establishment in British colonies. It operated in British colonies of North America, the Caribbean and Latin America, but efforts ended in the United States after independence, after which it expanded operations in the Caribbean and Latin America. Aside from courting faithful Anglicans in the Americans, the Society ministered to indigenous Americans, enslaved people, and emancipated slaves, leaving substantial records of their efforts and experiences.
The records of the Society include: central documents such as Society proceedings, petitions, reports and sermons; correspondence to and from missionaries and other representatives of the Society; records of American estates and committees; and other miscellaneous material
America in records from colonial missionaries, 1635-1812
Colonial missionaries' papers from America and the West Indies, 1701-1870
The West Indies in records from colonial missionaries, 1710-1950
South American missionaries' records, 1844-1919